The Red Bench operates as a not-for-profit membership-based collective. Membership gives you access to the shop space and its tools, equipment, and consumables as well as participation in self-directed, group, and volunteer instructor-led activities. The collective works exclusively for the needs of all members and toward the shared aim of promoting women in the skilled trades and technology.
Those who identify as women and/or as an underrepresented gender identity in trades and technology are welcome and encouraged to sign up for membership. We expect all of our members to commit to a strong code of ethics to protect the safety and comfort of one another.
If you don’t fit into eligibility, you can still contribute as a volunteer, mentor, or instructor. If these roles pique your interest, shoot us an email. We would love to hear from you!
Becoming a member is free and members pay a small drop-in fee only when they come to use the shop.
To become a member of The Red Bench:
- Let’s meet! Please contact us to introduce yourself. It is key that we get to know each of the amazing women and LGBTQIA+ individuals looking to join The Red Bench.
- Read our membership contract. To download the membership contract, click here.
- Ask us if you have any questions regarding the membership contract.
- Sign the membership contract and send it back. You will receive an onboarding email and a digital badge to recognize you as a member.
- Congratulations! You are now a member of the diverse and supportive community of The Red Bench.
What a membership allows you to do:
- Access the workshop and participate in self-directed, group, and volunteer instructor-led activities
- Use tools, equipment, and consumables
- Find support and mentoring to reach your technical and careers goals
- Be part of a community that is supportive of your skills, personality, strengths, and weaknesses
- Learn new skills, practice and master current skills, and continue or start new projects